Who’s Who in Financial Planning
The Financial Planning Association of Minnesota members are supported by a number of exceptional sponsors who help offset the cost of delivering benefits. These sponsors are helping to lead FPA's message of building the community of the financial planning profession, with their commitment to the association, its mission and its members. FPA of Minnesota is excited to announce a sponsorship program which will afford you the opportunity to partner with our association over the course of an entire year rather than by each single event.
Who’s Who in Financial Planning
If you’re like most CFP® professionals, or a student studying for the CFP mark, you probably don’t have a clear picture of which organization does what in the financial services field. All four major organizations that serve CFP students and professionals NEFE, the College for Financial Planning, the CFP Board and The FPA are all located in Denver. We know this may add to the confusion, but each organization does have its own distinct mission.
National Endowment for Financial Education (NEFE)
1331 - 17th Street, Suite 1200
Denver, CO 80202
Phone (303) 741-6333
The National Endowment for Financial Education® (NEFE®) is a non-profit 501 (c) (3) foundation dedicated to helping all Americans acquire the information and gain the skills necessary to take control of their personal finances. NEFE accomplishes its mission primarily by partnering with other concerned organizations to provide financial education to members of the publicin particular, to underserved individuals whose financial education issues are not being addressed by others. These partnerships are an effective means of responding to the needs of many different groups within the general population. The National Endowment is composed of four distinct areas that define the foundation's scope and guide its activities. These areas include: Education Programs; incorporating the NEFE High School Financial Planning Program® (HSFPP®); Strategic Programs and Alliances; Multimedia Access; and Innovative Thinking.
College for Financial Planning
8000 E Maplewood Ave
Greenwood Village, CO 80111
Phone (303) 264-1200
The College for Financial Planning has been the premier provider of financial services education since 1972. In fact, the College created this country’s first financial planning education programthe CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER, as well as the certification. Today, the College remains at the forefront of the financial planning field by listening and responding to the needs of the industry and individual customers. We continue to expand our role by improving and introducing education programs and learning tools that serve your needs as a professional.
Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards, Inc. (CFP Board of Standards)
1670 Broadway, Suite 600
Denver, CO 80202-4809
Phone (303) 830-7500 • Fax (303) 860-7388
An independent, nonprofit, professional regulatory organization founded in 1985, the CFP Board of Standards, Inc., owns the CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER, and certification marks. These marks are awarded to individuals who successfully complete the CFP Board's initial and ongoing certification requirements.
The CFP Board licenses individuals who have met its requirements for education, examination, experience, and ethics and continue to meet ongoing continuing education and ethics disclosure requirements to use the mark. The CFP Board preserves the integrity of the CFP marks by educating those who infringe upon or otherwise incorrectly use them and taking legal action if necessary.
• Licenses individuals to use the CFP marks
• Develops the CFP Certification Examination
• Sets standards for CFP certificants
• Protects the CFP marks
• Sets the continuing education requirement for CFP certificants
• Tracks CE credits for each CFP certificants to ensure all requirements are met
• Approves programs for CFP continuing education credit
• Enforces compliance with the Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility
• Administers the disciplinary process for CFP certificants
• Promotes public awareness of CFP marks
• Fees - A one-time, non-refundable initial certification application fee of $100 for the background checks and a biennial certification fee of $360.
The Financial Planning Association (FPA)
4100 E. Mississippi Ave., Suite 400
Denver, Colorado 80246-3053
Phone (800)322-4237 • Fax (303)759-0749
The Financial Planning Association is the only professional organization that serves exclusively the CFP professional and students in the process of earning their CFP mark. The Institute promotes the CFP professional as the financial planner of choice on a national level and advances the profession of financial planning in the minds of the public, media, and other centers of influence. It also helps to develop the individual planner’s practice by providing opportunities and/or products for continuing education, networking, marketing, and public relations.
• Publishes The Journal of Financial Planning
• Features 100 local chapters for networking and continuing education
• Produces an annual Retreat, a high-level educational opportunity
• Promotes the CFP professional as the financial planner of choice on a national level
• Lobbies both state and federal legislatures and agencies in order to promulgate laws and regulations that are favorable to the CFP professional
• Provides continuing education in a variety of modes
• Offers discounts on selected products and services
• Offers an annual Practice Management Conference for CFP professionals
• Professional membership fees are $285.00 annually (subject to change)
• Student membership is $145.00 (subject to change)
Other Financial Services Organizations
• AALU Association for Advanced Life Underwriting
• AICPA American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
• ASCLU/ChFC American Society of Chartered Life Underwriters/Chartered Financial Consultants
• NAPFA National Association of Personal Financial Advisors
Colleges and Universities Nationwide
An ever-growing number of educational institutions throughout the United States have registered with the CFP Board of Standards. They provide education in both classroom and distance learning settings that meets the CFP Board’s education requirement toward certification. Currenlty, there are 1,994 CE Sponsors registered with the CFP Board to provide continuing education.